SC Quashes Common Entrance Test for Admission in Medical Colleges!

The Supreme Court on Thursday quashed the National Eligibility cum Entrance Test (NEET) for admission in medical colleges. The NEET is a single entrance-cum-eligibility-test for admission in all medical colleges in India. By a two to one majority, the apex court held that the Medical Council of India had no powers to conduct single entrance examination and force it on government and private medical colleges. The admission already made through NEET this year will not be disturbed, said Chief Justice Altamash Kabir and justice Vikramjit Sen, who formed majority in a 3-judge bench. Justice A R Dave dissented, saying the NEET was valid and it was good for the students and society at large.
The court’s decision came on 115 petitions challenging the MCI notification on NEET for admission to MBBS and post-graduate medical courses conducted in colleges across the country. On May 13, the court had lifted the bar on declaration of results of examinations that had already been conducted and said the admission process could go ahead.
 
It had modified its December 13, 2012 order by which it had stated that MCI, Dental Council of India, as well as the states, universities and other institutions, will be entitled to conduct their respective examinations for MBBS, BDS and post-graduate courses but shall not declare their results until further orders.
 
The bench had earlier directed transfer of all petitions pending in various courts to it by January 15, this year.

Career Aspirations: Are They Just Business or are Some Personal?

 

700 Medical Seats Lost in TN as 6 Colleges Lose Recognition

Amidst soaring demand for MBBS seats, matched by record capitation fee collections, one thing has gone unnoticed thus far. The Medical Council of India (MCI) has either refused or withdrawn recognition for at least half a dozen medical colleges in Tamil Nadu, and none of the colleges has been able to win any reprieve from the Madras high court till now.

In effect, these colleges which have a combined student intake of more than 700 have realized to their dismay that the Supreme Court-stipulated deadline of July 15 for grant of MCI recognition too has gone by, with the high court refusing to show them the usual indulgence. “Now that the deadline for recognition has lapsed and the high court too has not come to their rescue, these medical colleges have no hope this year, unless the Supreme Court relaxes or extends the deadline. Even the MCI cannot do anything about it without the apex court’s nod,” a senior advocate arguing the case told TOI on Wednesday.

The medical colleges which have queued up before the high court are: Melmaruvathur Adhiparasakthi Institute of Medical Sciences and Research with 150 seats; Madha Medical College and Hospital for renewal of recognition to admit 150 students; Tagore Medical College and Hospital for renewal of recognition to admit 150 students; Shri Sathya Sai Medical College and Research Institute for grant of recognition to admit 150 students; and Sri Devi Karumariamman Educational Trust for recognition to start admitting students for its new college.

Two other colleges – Asan Dental College and Hospital in Chennai and Mookambiga Dental College and Hospital in Kanyakumari district – have been refused permission by the Dental Council of India to admit 100 students each during this academic year. Another medical college – Mahathma Gandhi Medical College and Research Institute – has been disallowed from increasing its intake from 150 to 250.

The names of Adhiparasakthi institute and Sathya Sai medical college figured in a CBI case, and a city court had discharged both of the promoters from the case. After that, they challenged the derecognition on the ground that in view of their discharge from the criminal case, their recognition should be restored. Their matters are now pending before the ethics committee of the MCI. When Adhiparasakthi’s case for resumption of recognition came up for hearing before Justice K K Sasidharan, the judge had suo motu impleaded the CBI also a party to the proceedings, in order to elicit its views in the matter.

All these institutions are before the Madras high court hoping to circumvent the MCI’s denial orders by obtaining at least an interim order of stay from the court. “Usually they succeed in getting an interim order and then start admitting students, cocking a snook at the MCI administration. Not so this time. With the high court adopting a tough stand this year, we do not know how to advice these clients,” said another lawyer involved in the litigation. As per the apex court order in the Mridhul Dhar (minor) and Others Vs Union of India case, the last date for obtaining MCI recognition is July 15, and the deadline for completing the entire admission process is July 31, he pointed out.

10 Educational Channels that Could Help Parents Teach their Kids!

There are many occassions when kids ask question that is beyond our imagination and reach and puts parents in an embarrassing situation., However, it is not something that parents should avoid rather they should welcome such incidents and encourage their kids to ask more and more such questions. However, this is important to prepare yourself prior to encouraging kids and children questions. With this article we have come up with a video that lists some best educational websites avaialble these days for childrens and kids. A regular visit to these YouTube channels by parents could help them guide their kids in a much more convincing way.

Nagpur’s Rakhi Bhagwate Gets 99.09%, but Nagpur Division Flops!

City girl Rakhi Bhagwate of Prerna Convent – scored 99.09% (545/550) – is one of the top achievers of the state in the SSC 2013 results declared on Friday. But overall, the Nagpur division yet again slumped to one of its worst-ever SSC performances this year.

 

 

rakhi_bhagwat

After ending at the bottom in HSC results, it finished second last in the SSC results on Friday, just above Latur division. Last year, its position was seventh among nine divisions. On the other hand, it maintained its dubious distinction of topping the charts for cases of unfair means cases in both exams, though there was a slight decline in number of cases.  The efforts of Maharashtra State Board’s Nagpur division chairman Chandramani Borkar apparently fell short of improving its position.

HRD Minister Steps in to Resolve Confusion over Board cut-off Norms in Admission to IITs

HRD minister M M Pallam Raju has called the IIT-Delhi director on Wednesday to discuss widespread resentment against the criterion that students have to secure top 20 percentile in class XII board examination. This is an additional criterion apart from performance in JEE (Advanced).

So far, 79 students have been denied admission in IITs after getting initial offer as they did not fulfill the cut-off norms that vary in case of each state board. Though Raju is non-committal about changing the procedure from next year, sources said the minister has been receiving lot of complaints against the manner in which cut-offs were calculated twice. “He wants to understand what has gone wrong. Denial of admission has become a big issue in minister’s home state Andhra Pradesh,” a source said. IIT-Delhi organized this year’s JEE (Advanced).

Sources said the top 20 percentile eligibility cut-offs of class XII result was calculated twice. “This created the problem. For instance, in case of Andhra Pradesh the first cut-off was 89% which had to be corrected to 91.8%. This happened due to miscalculation but resulted in many students not getting the admission,” a source said.

The matter has already reached the Supreme Court. Last week, the apex court stayed an Andhra Pradesh High Court order that reserved four seats for students who had challenged the 20-percentile criteria. SC has adjourned the matter for two weeks. There is a widespread variation in cut-offs. It is low in Tripura (53.2%), Jharkhand (56.2%), Assam (56.6%) and Uttarakhand (57.8%). CBSE’s cut-off is 81.6%, ICSE (83.2%), UP (73%), Bihar (65%) and West Bengal (61.2%). Eligibility till last year across boards was 60%. IIT-Delhi maintains there is nothing wrong with the eligibility, and only few students would be affected.

JEE ‘marks swap’ Triggers Protest!

The confusion over the normalization process for admission to National Institutes of Technology (NITs) and other central government technical educational institutes led to a protest at the CBSE office in Preet Vihar on Thursday morning. About sixty candidates gathered outside the office—the board conducted the Joint Entrance Examination Main in April.
 
The new process—decided after the exam had been conducted—is being described as one of “swapping marks” by candidates who have had their ranks altered drastically under the new system. “I scored 228 in the JEE Main and was expecting my rank to be around 7,000,” said a student of a Delhi school. “Now, due to the introduction of normalization, my rank is around 21,000. My career is at stake. I won’t get into any good college or be able to opt for a course of my choice,” he added.
 
According to the protesters, CBSE joint secretary S P Rana met a few people to inform them that the board has only conducted the exam and the formula for normalization has been devised by the vice-chancellor of BITS Pilani. With the change in ranks brought about by the formula—the number of students writing a particular board exam also matters—the candidates have to change their courses along with colleges. Candidates from outside Delhi participated in the protest as well. Arth, from Jaipur, managed a score of 218 and was hoping to study in Delhi. Now he’s not so sure. The protesters later headed towards the apex court and were given a hearing date in August.

UP Board class X Results Declared!

Uttar Pradesh (UP) Secondary Education Board on Saturday declared class 10th (high school) results. Of 34 lakh students who appeared in the examination, 28.86 lakh passed. Overall pass percentage was 86.63%.
 
Girls outscored boys once again. While 91.25% girls cleared the examinations, the pass percentage of boys was 82.87%. Ashutosh Mishra from Barabanki district scored 97.33% marks and topped the examination. Aradhana Shukla, also from Barabanki, came second with 97% marks. Shreya Srivastava from Allahabad was third with 96.17% marks. Ishwaridutt Maurya of Lucknow Academy figured at ninth position in the merit list.
 
As many as 114 under trials who appeared in examination from jail also cleared examinations.Like class 12th results, students of small towns and rural areas did better in class 10th as well. Pass percentage of Maharajganj was highest in comparison to all the districts. The lowest pass percentage was in Pilibhit. Lucknow was at 37th place. Total districts in the state are 75.
 
The results can be accessed through the official website i.e http://upresults.nic.in

CET Admission Picks up; 50,673 Pay Fee!

With the last date of reporting for selected candidates at their chosen undergraduate professional colleges ending on Tuesday, 50,673 of the 61,845 candidates had paid their fees and downloaded their admission orders as on Monday afternoon.
 
About 22,291 candidates have remitted payment through Indian Bank, 10,001 through net banking, e-portal, debit/credit cards and 18,411 through RTGS/NEFT.
 
About 7,654 SC/ST candidates also downloaded their admission orders.
 
SJCE tangle continues
 
Meanwhile, there appeared to be no end in sight for the travails of about 228 students who have been denied admission by Sri Jayachamarajendra College of Engineering (SJCE), Mysore.
 
KEA officials, on Monday, promised to “protect the interests of the students”, but it was no balm for the students and their parents who thronged the KEA headquarters in Malleswaram.
 
The parents find the KEA officials’ assurance confusing, as the college has even issued an endorsement to the students stating categorically why it is denying them admission.
 
“SJCE has a total of 228 government seats, 114 for computer science and 114 for electronics and communication. We are blocking these seats till further allotment is done,” claimed KEA sources.
 
SJCE, however, claimed in its endorsement that the seat matrix issued by the KEA for this academic year with respect to computer science and electronics and communication courses has been quashed by the Karnataka high court. It has said that unless the government reallocates seats freshly in accordance with the consensual agreement between private engineering colleges and the government, it can’t change anything.
 
The students and parents are worried that if KEA is not able to block their seats, they will have to go in for a second session of counselling.

Assam CM Orders Probe into Anomalies in Class X Board Exam

Chief minister TarunGogoi on Tuesday ordered the formation of a two-member committee to enquire into the anomalies in the Class X board exam conducted by the Board of Secondary Education, Assam, (Seba) as pointed out by the All Assam Students’ Union (Aasu) and other organizations. The committee will constitute the vice-chancellors of Dibrugarh University and Assam Agricultural University and will submit its report within one month.

Aasu has been staging a dharna demanding removal of the Seba chairman and revamping of the state board at Seba’s office since Thursday.

Seba employees on Tuesday extended support to the ongoing protest of Aasu demanding ouster of the board’s chairman Shantikam Hazarika. They told an Aasu delegation that they will approach chief minister Tarun Gogoi to end the impasse.

On Sunday, state education minister Himanta Biswa Sarma accepted Aasu’s demand of initiating reforms in Seba so as to provide error-free and timely results to students. But the state government is yet to decide on the fate of Hazarika.

Aasu is adamant to continue its protest unless Hazarika is removed from his post. Lending support to the Aasu’s protest, vice-president of Asom Sahitya Sabha, Paramananda Rajbongshi, and general secretary of All Assam Tribal Sangha, Aditya Khakhlari, on Tuesday joined the Aasu protesters at the Seba premises.

Following the Aasu protest, Seba secretary Dayaram Rajbongshi had earlier tendered his resignation.

Aasu adviser Sammujal Bhattacharyya said that though the state government has agreed to bring reforms in the state board, the board should be controlled by an able educationist. “Ouster of Shantikam Hazarika is the only issue now. Changes in Seba will not yield fruitful results if the board is headed by Hazarika, under whose tenure major goof-ups have taken place in the last two years,” said Bhattacharyya.

The Aasu protest at the Seba headquarters has paralyzed work in the board office. “There is total chaos in the Seba office due to the ongoing protest. Senior officials are not in office for the last couple of days. We want an immediate solution to the logjam,” said Jugal Sarma, secretary of the employees union of Seba.

A Seba official said that absence of the chairman and secretary has hit work at the board. “Registration of class IX students is going on and the results of those who sent their paper of the Class X exam for re-evaluation is yet to be declared. In the absence of senior officials at the Seba office, we are facing serious difficulty,” said a board official.