No amount of preparation or research can be sufficient when it comes to choosing a boarding school for your child. The primary question in any parent’s mind is not about choosing a school but about choosing the desired upbringing for the child. Selecting a boarding school is all the more difficult because a parent will be leaving a child behind to be looked after by someone else on a daily basis. They want to ensure that the child learns positive assessment, reasoning, sense of judgement, social affluence, etc. Parents want to ensure that the child is able to seek and develop their interests and hobbies like sports, singing, dancing, sketching, and more.
The most important aspect of sending a child to a foreign living environment is developing their interest in it. Parents must always talk with the child about the new experiences that they shall have. Help them build expectations and tell them that you are always around for them. Involve them in the process and take their interests into considerations. Children usually blend in more effortlessly when they get to do activities that interest them.
Some of the important points to consider when searching for a boarding school of your child are:
1. Identify the schools that are in the region and search through their webpages. Write down names and narrow down your list on the basis of school background like, is it co-educational, boys, girls, military, etc. Learn about what they have to offer and how much do they cost. Note the names that suit your expectations. You can search through internet for the school ratings and comments from present or pas students or parents for getting an overview about the school environment.
2. Visit the school to get a better understanding of the school atmosphere. Check if the school offers activities that interest your child. Discuss with your child and tell them about the options you like. Learn about the security features of the school and how do they handle emergency situations.
3. Finalize more than one school and understand what do the schools expect from their students. Apply to the schools at the earliest because most schools open admissions on availability in each class and conduct admissions through lengthy process. Prepare the child for the entrance process.
4. Entrance test is a general norm in schools across India. While some schools may take admission on the past academic performance of the child, others conduct standardized admission test that may include simple questions from previous classes, essays and general aptitude. Schools tend to interview the child before admitting, them so encourage the child to speak freely in front of the interviewer.
5. Pay the admission fees and complete the formalities as soon as possible. Schools wait for only a limited time before handing over the seat to another candidate. Most of the schools offer various scholarships and parents can apply for them during the application process.